View Single Post
      12-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by advans View Post
•Tires stay inflated. Nitrogen molecules are three times bigger than oxygen, so gas escapes more slowly from the tire. This keeps the tire inflated longer at the correct level.

•Fuel economy improved. Nitrogen expands less than oxygen, so tire pressure doesn't go up and down as tires heat and cool. Underinflated tires reduce gas mileage.

•Tires and wheels last longer. Underinflated tires get hot and wear more quickly. And since there's less moisture inside the tire, rubber rots and steel rims rust more slowly.

•Vehicles handle better. Nitrogen is more common in 18-wheelers than passenger cars. NASCAR and Formula One drivers use nitro for better steering and performance. Aircraft tires are inflated with nitrogen or helium to minimize expansion and contraction from changes in temperature and atmospheric pressure during flight.

Nitrogen is filled even on the ALMS M3 Cars. To those about that say it's BS. I felt the difference in terms of handling. the car has less bounce.

1) Nitrogen DOES NOT expand less than oxygen. See Ideal Gas Law...again.
2) I have NEVER seen a tire rot or wheel rust from the minute amount of moisture in air inside a tire. I have to call "Shenanigans" on this one.
3) Aircraft tires are filled with nitrogen because nitrogen is not an oxidizer (like oxygen) and will not support combustion. It is good to avoid the chance of combustion in the event of a tire blowout upon landing.
4) Better steering and performance? You are filling the tires with a gas to keep them inflated. If you can provide some specific science to show the type of gas used to inflate the tires makes a difference I will listen, otherwise I need to call "Shenanigans" again.
5) Car has less bounce? Are you trying to say that nitrogen reacts differently than air, which is 78% nitrogen, to compression and expansion? I hate to repeat myself, but I'm going back to the ideal gas law thing again.

Last edited by Dave2; 12-07-2010 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0