PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyP View Post
I find it interesting that so many people are saying that after this "last good M3" they are switching to Porsches. Porsche has been around and making great cars for some time now, why didn't you buy one of those then? The M3 is pretty different from a 911 and both are very good at what they do - I happen to own both so feel somewhat qualified to say that. I really think all the current owners who are thinking of switching to a Porsche should just go ahead but (if financially feasible) keep the M3. They complement each other very well and do not feel duplicative at all IMO.

Also, on another point my 997.1 C2S weighs 3210 lbs with 2/3 tank, no driver no payload. I weighed it on corner scales.
I'll bite. I'll tell you honestly why I didn't buy a Porsche this go around. I COULDN'T AFFORD IT. There, I said it. But here's why. A new 911 was totally out of the question financially right now. I have 2 teenage boys in parochial/private high school whom are going to college soon. A mortgage and countless other financial obligations just didn't make a new Porsche 911 a feasible purchase AT THIS MOMENT. I stress the last part. A used 911 was an option but Porsche Approved rates suck for a car that is well, used. When the opportunity presented itself to get a NEW BMW M3 with loyalty perks thrown in and at a value price, it became a no-brainer. A 911 is a #1 in my book but I got a SOLID #1a with a real backseat and useable space. I'm totally fine with that until the kids are gone. Which won't be very long now. I might miss them.

Last edited by PhillyNate; 12-03-2011 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0