View Single Post
      11-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #157
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe DCT

Man! Finally made it through all 8 pages... so I am left with a couple of questions.

1) Wheel hoping: I wasnt aware of this term, and read up on and now have a pretty good understanding what actually happens. However, what I am uncertain about is whether or not this can only happen during a launch/hard accelerating? The reason why Im asking is cause sometimes when I change gears mid turn, pretty hard on the throttle (we're obviosuly not talking a sharp turn here), when I change gears (especially with the MDM on) the car kinda jumps/skids. So far I have assumed that's just a result of changing gears mid-turn while going pretty hard on the throttle and you are borderline about to experience somewhat of an oversteer. However, reading through this makes me wonder if that is also a type of "wheel hop"?

2) Just having bought an 09 M3 DCT (picked up 6/1/13) I am of course shitting bullets right now, hoping this will not happen to me. However, there seems to be a trend on newer, 6MTs. Is that just a coincidence or is it just me. I just hit 50K on the odometer, so I would like to do some pro-active work if possible.

3) What can we do? I guess could be a summary post somewhere else (possibly sticky?) which summarizes what we can do in order to prevent this from happening. Both for the people that have been through this already and have had parts replaced under warranty, and the ones that have gotten by so far. So for example, replace bushings, periodically check torque levels on XYZ bolts with x-amount of torque, replacement of any other parts that might assist with this issue etc.

Like alot of you I am pretty disappointed/scared over these stories. I certainly didn't buy an M3 to drive like a granny around town and never drive the car the way it was "meant to be driven!" That being said there's a difference between abuse and driving the car it was "meant to be driven" IMO.
Appreciate 0