View Single Post
      04-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba louey View Post
On my '01 A4, trim pieces started to rot after about 5 yrs. Then the welds on the exhaust system rusted out about a year later. For whatever reason poorer quality steel is used in some locations. I guessing that the engineers over-look things like this. That nut on the DCT looks overly rusted given the time frame. Give it a few more years and a wrench might not grip it. Then again the image is a little out of focus and the rust might just be a thin skin.
I compared the rubber trim on my '11 M3 to my wife's '08 X5 and the latter seems to be in better shape. And my M3 is almost always parked in a garage or deck while her X5 sits out in the sun all day. The nut has rust flakes peeling away already so it's not just a thin layer of surface rust. Pretty sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
did you replace with new nut?
No. This caught me by surprise but I'm planning on looking into getting a new nut on there before this one seizes in place.

Just checked Realoem and this nut relates to the linkage from the DCT shifter. I was unable to locate the nut as a separate part, which is not good.

Last edited by rantarM3; 04-21-2013 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0