Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by theriz View Post
we meeting at the CCC first???
I think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
It is a good idea.

However there are some hurdles, the company's with tons of servers are selling you more than their storage, they are selling you security and stability also.

Obviously there needs to be some sort of security encryption guarantee, which will protect the stored data when its sitting on some hacker's HDD.....

What happens when the the HDD owners turn off the system for some reason? There has got to be backups/mirrors of the stored data on other drives that the ensure the users always have access.
Yes, there are some potential security risks. The guy was saying that his friend (the main programmer) has been working on this for 2 years and part of the reason why it's taking so long is because he has to make sure that everything is encrypted and people are only able to access their own data.

I also thought about what would happen if people disconnect their HDD from the network. I don't know how it's possible to get around something like that without mirrors, like you mentioned.

The idea is good, but I think that there are too many things that can go wrong that would prevent this from really taking off.
Appreciate 0