06-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #36
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
+1. I just don't understand that retro crap mentality (Mustang, Challenger, Camaro). They're living in the past indeed.

If I was going to buy an American car, it'd be a Vette. Yes, it also has crappy build quality, but at least it's a modern looking car I wouldn't be embarrassed to drive.

That aside, depends what you want out of your car. I drove the GT500 out of curiosity. Once I was past the awfully crappy interior, I couldn't believe how hard the clutch was, and I'm no weakling; just ridiculously hard IMO. Shifter was balky as well. Solid axle. I don't like the looks one bit. In summary, I didn't like anything on that car. It could have had 1,000 HP for all I care; I wouldn't buy one even for $10K below MSRP. But for somebody who wants all-out performance on a straight line, I can see the value. At least a Vette has a much better interior and handles much better as well, for about the same coin. Good day gang.

Most young(ish) people won't understand the history of both the Mustang & Shelby brand. The Camaros, Challengers, Chargers, Mustangs, etc .. they were the cars that our parents wanted when they were teenagers. I don't blame GM/Ford/Chrysler trying to bring back the retro. The target audience wouldn't care much about the interior detailing or whether or it uses an independent suspension or a live axle. It would be a bit hypocritical to criticize them for making cars for a niche audience just because we're not part of that niche.

Whatever you say about the bad interior/live axle or whatever, nobody can argue that the Mustang/Vette and I predict, the Camaro will sell like hotcakes. From a business point-of-view, that's all that matters.
Appreciate 0