09-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #104
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS
I think its great your posting this....and its a great discussion. I just don't think its a clearance problem. There are people with 80-100k on their s65's with no failures. That wouldn't happen with a clearance problem that plagues all s65's. I think its really jumping the gun by taking a shop's opinion on clearances.
Let's be honest my friend, you have no idea wether it is a clearance problem or not!

The issue doesn't necessarily plague each and every S65, but it certainly seems like it affects most of them.

The proof is in the pudding. There are lots of documented cases of premature bearing wear, there have been numerous engine failures as due to rod bearings seizing and the rod being thrown through the block.

Take a good look at the measurements that regular guy has posted...... Do you see an issue? The biggest issue to me is the variance between rods. If a manufacturer wanted to build an engine tight like this and have it last, different bearing sizes should have been made to allow each rod to be dialled in more closely and have an even clearance across all of the eight rods. The Japanese manufacturers do this on even their run of the mill engines, it is not uncommon to see a corolla or civic with three or four different bearing colors. You don't just buy a set of bearings for them, you refer to your colors and put back in what came out.

There is no doubt that the S65 has a bearing issue, and listening to a shop is definitely what I would do. Who would you listen to or trust? A manufacturer who has built engines that they had to recall due to clearance issues and seem to be having the same issues all over again? Or would you trust one of the premier engine builders in the world, an engine builder that gas built and designed engines for Indy cars, aircraft, sprint cars......... The list goes on! I know who I would trust!

So the info is here, the facts are that BMW is going against the experience of all of us who build engines for a living, and against the bearing manufacturers recommendation regarding clearances and engine oil selection!

Look at the facts again and see if you still feel the same way.