03-12-2024, 03:17 PM   #6
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwired78 View Post
with all the work to replace the bushings, im told its about +$600 to just pull the diff and replace the bearing at the point.
1700 to o the bushings, +600 to pull the diff send it out and get a new center bearing put in.... so around $2300-$2400 total
yeah that's pretty much the on going price just to do solid subframe bushings / diff bushing replacement..

but you can pull the exhaust off, and heat shielding to expose the driveshaft / csb and see if its making noises.

loose diff bolt is easy to inspect for.. just need the car off the ground which I'm sure your mechanic has done. if not get it checked.

i use to get a "clunk sound" when ever i was driving at low rpm that wasn't loud but audible. cause of that, sometimes it settled and never made a noise some how.

the diff it self breaking is very... hard to be honest. they are pretty stout from factory already, its usually the surrounding parts of the drive line that ends up causing issues..

even if you were to launch your car a lot, you'd probably break your driveshaft first before the diff goes out.

alternatively you can check the top of the rear shock mount and see if it gotten lose? idk if you have coilovers, but i once forgot to fully tighten down on it and it made a soft clunk sound lol.
Appreciate 0