03-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #125
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
Nice graphs swamp. However, I would say that the "jerk" is not the acceleration but the rate of change of acceleration. That being the case, jerk would be identified in the graphs as the slope of the curve at any point in time. The way you have drawn the curves shows the top three (6MT, SMG and DCT) have "jerks". You can also see much greater range in 6MT and SMG as compared to the DCT. The bottom graph does not have large slopes, hence not much jerk, i.e. much smoother.

Assuming you're right with these curves, I find this a very good graphic way of conveying the concept. Great idea swamp. It's posts like this that make this forum useful. Thanks.
Right, jerk is the derivative of acceleration. My curves were not supposed to be perfect matched vs. data. As you can see enigmas data shows things a bit more piecewise linear and less smooth than my curvy graphs. But essentially they are right on the money. The DCT curve does definitely show jerk, it just does not exhibit much deceleration. So MT and SMG have both large negative jerk and large positive jerk. DCT will have almost no negative jerk and probably less positive jerk, again depending on the drivelogic mode.
Appreciate 0