View Single Post
      06-24-2008, 12:03 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram View Post
I thought that Euro specs can store those settings!
I don't think so.

It seems as though only the settings that are available on the center console buttons are assignable to the key, minus DSC for safety reasons. That is to say, just Power and EDC. M-DCT and Steering (and DSC) must be set via M-Drive. In fact, I am not even sure that Sport-Plus Power can be set to the key, it might just be Sport or Normal only.

This makes some bit of sense. It means that the key-assignable settings are completely independent from whether the car is equipped with MDrive (ZTP), thus making things easier to develop and test. This is, of course, all just software and could be fixed or changed at a later date. In fact, theoretically, it seems that both MDrive and non-MDrive cars alike could be given complete customizability of all adjustable settings via this interface. Though this would probably diminish the value (be it perceived or otherwise) or the MDrive system. After all, many (if not most) people seem to hit their M Button each time they get in the car. But, if those settings were able to be programmed to the key, then the M Button's use suddenly becomes much less frequent and thus its presence a bit more superfluous. And then perhaps fewer people would equip ZTP. Of course, it would still be nice to have the M Button if for no other reason then to go from S5 and MDM into S6 and DSC-off mode for using LC or track use.
Appreciate 0