View Single Post
      11-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Rahul718
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 Comp 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by alipali View Post
30-40k miles on an M3, or any BMW for that matter, is absolutely nothing from a major mechanical standpoint. A major service should take place somewhere after 25k + miles, so you should make sure that that has happened and that the car has a full service history with a fairly reputable garage.

Obviously, you should have the car looked at by a pro mechanic before purchasing.

One caveat would be to find out if the previous owner tracked it or not. I'm not sure I'd want a car that had been run ragged around a track - whether the driver is skilled or not - it's going to shorten the life of some components.

I'm at 38k miles on my M3 and have no qualms about the mechanics or anything else. Performs like the day I drove it off the lot.
Agreed, I will not buy a car that's been tracked. But here's the question...when buying from the dealer, is there any way to truly know? Similarly, it's easier to gauge whether its been tracked when buying from a private party. Things to look for that indicate track use?

Also, are there any areas of the car to check if prospective cars are "Sandy" cars? I live in the area that got the brunt of the hurricane and would like to ensure I do not get a Sandy car. My thoughts are since these are expensive cars and people will likely have comprehensive insurance, that M3s damaged by Sandy would be totaled.

Lastly, I read about M drive and how that feature makes or breaks the driving experience. When I go for my test drives how can I make sure it's enabled?

Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0