View Single Post
      08-06-2008, 02:42 AM   #1
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3

E46 M3 Convertible To E93 M3 - Concerns and Questions

I have read a lot of press articles recently about the E93 M3 and most (almost all) have bashed the E93 M3 for being too heavy. Although I know it's pretty obvious that the hardtop is heavy, I am disappointed by how heavy the E93 M3 is relative to the E46 M3 Convertible. I say this because I have been waiting for a quite a while for the E93 M3 to come out, having owned 3 E46 M3 Convertibles (01 6-speed, 04 SMG, 06 SMG (current)), and I never thought it would be as bulky as it is. One of the things I like best about my E46 M3 Convertible is that is feels very light and small, which makes it much more enjoyable to drive than a M6 Convertible, which is just too heavy and is basically a GT. Problem with the E93 M3 is that it borders on the GT range of weight, which makes me wonder how it will drive.

I'm very curious to hear impressions from other E46 M3 Convertible owners who have either traded up to an E93 M3 or who have test-driven the E93 M3 to see if they felt like the E93 M3 feels significantly heavier than the E46 M3 Convertible and to hear whether the awesome new V8 (I have driven a 6-speed coupe and I was blown away by the new engine - amazing) makes up for the added weight in terms of power and fun-to-drive? I don't expect it to be as nimble as the coupe but I'n hoping that the E93 M3 doesn't feel like a GT.

Would anyone care to share their thoughts? I sincerely appreciate everyone's input in advance, as I am considering ordering an '09. Of course, test driving an E93 M3 would be optimal but it's a LOT easier said than done in Los Angeles...

Thanks for everyone's help,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0