View Single Post
      02-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #108
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
I disagree. How fast you go around the track is also largerly associated with power, as much as it is with handling. In that analogy, we could say lotus exige should be the fastest around the track, but it is not. N-ring with quite a few long streches tends to favor big powered cars, which is the reason Z06 tracks under 8 minutes. M3 without a doubt is more optimized than corvette in just about any handling characteristics, but it doesn't compare in power. Reason again goes back to inherent design of leaf springs. Power wise Z06 will demolish it, which is why it is pointless to take one track (as n-ring was the case in this argument) and set a basis for what a particular car is capable of.
Agree that vette is trickier to drive at the limit. From your experience why is that?
Wrong again, the 05 C6 does a faster time around the ring than the M3 and that had less HP, and has leaf springs, explain that.
The 04 C5 Z06 had a faster time around the ring also and has less HP also, and by the way has leaf springs, also it brakes worse that the M3 also, explain that.I really want you to explain this.

Having auto-x a E46 M3 and a 08 C6, if you go full throttle a little early out of the corner with a E46 M3 you won’t go sideways or spin, do that in a C6 and you’ll face the other way or be putting in some quick counter steer.
The complete opposite is I drove the ISF on Moroso and the Audi S4 on Homestead, the Audi is next near to impossible to go sideways on no matter throttle position, ISF easier to go sideways but very controllable (not much throttle feathering required, remember the throttle is not an on off switch)
Quote:
I don't follow LeMans closely, but if they are using different suspension then you don't really have an argument? It's a race prepped car. Does lemans vette uses leaf springs? I don't know?
M3 GTR in race version put out 444hp, which is some 60hp less than Z06 along with 3.0L of deficit in displacement. With similar power to Z06 it would have been more than 20 sec or maybe even more.
M3 GTR in a different class anyway, just like the classes above the C6R have more HP.

wrong again, the C6R suspension can be ordered for a regular C6, but of course race parts, called the T1 suspension which can be purchased, but I doubt the ride is nice or the 1.5 inch ground clearance., T1 suspension parts available on the GM performance catalog.
sit down let me explain.
I’m pointing out that the CR6 is not a multi-link suspension and does quite well beating out other multi link suspension designs, you stated a multi-link suspension will always be superior performance wise, I don’t think so.

By the way the definition of a multi-link suspension is one that does not use just
1 upper control arm
1 lower control arm
1 knuckle

instead is uses multiple link points hence the name,
example.
All Acura’s use a rear multi-link suspension, and only on the rear, multi-link is not used on the front.
Other types of suspension are:
1. SLA
2. MacPherson Strut
3. Solid Axle
4. Double wishbone

Leaf springs is a type of spring used in one of these type of suspension but not a suspension type, because you can change the leaf spring on a vette and go with coil overs, does not change the suspension type, it’s still a SLA/double wishbone.

Multi-link is a great design, but it’s how well the suspension is tweaked that determines how well it handles, as long as you have a good design base, hence no solid axle.

Quote:
I specified Z06 in my post, not regular vette. Z06 has the tires I stated.
Handles better than which M3? E92?
yeah but you stated that tire sizes make that much of a difference, apples to apples, the regular C6 has the same front sizes as the M3 E92 and only slightly larger on the rear, even though the rears are slightly larger the tires grip worse. The GY are not that great of performing tire compared to other non-run flat performance tires or even other high performance run flats for that matter. You can’t attribute the better handling on the vette to the tires, wrong.

Quote:
It might be fragile, but I don't see vette owners bitching about LCAB, RTAB, FCAB and other XXXX all the damn time like you see on all BMW forums.

track bar=sway bar? add differential bushings? how about subframe bushings? those are big time wear items. with great build quality on E36 you'll be riding on the straight asphalt if you dont change subframe bushings.
for your info, all cars have sway bars, 2 bushings
sub-frame bushings all except for a few use 4 bushings

but anyway the M3 does not have a dozen more bushings as you stated.

Also reference to bushings wearing out, I know I’m not the only one that had front lower control arm bushings wearing out prematurely on the E46 M3 and E46 330, by the way that was not wear and tear, they usually failed prematurely, part defect, they wore out @14k on my M3 and 24k on my 330. I don’t think that will happen on the E92.

But in this case your right, bushings on the vette don’t wear out pre-maturely but then we have other problems.

Last edited by spearfisher; 02-15-2008 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0