08-27-2020, 08:35 AM   #6
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I'll start by saying that I have the Slon pan and am a big fan of it. One of the reasons is that Slon includes a clever second piece---a spacer that lowers the suction intake down into the larger pan. The Fall-Line pan does not seem to include such a thing.

In my humble opinion, if you're fighting oil starvation in high-G situations, what good would a 1000 gallon pan do for you if you're still sipping from the top of the oil? Starvation is a real thing at high grip levels. I have suffered a LOT of it. And the Slon pan addressed it. In the end, to me, it makes sense to lower the suction intakes into the deeper pan so that starvation can be avoided.

Have you seen the pictures I included on my build thread when I did the install? They show the spacer piece before install and on the car. If you haven't, I think it's worth a look. Check out Posts #711 and 715 on this page for pictures: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...158445&page=33

The Fall-Line pan uses a rubber seal......The Slon pan is CNC-machined to sit flush up against the transmission and you use Loctite gasket maker to seal it. I don't know what is better. All I can tell you is that the Loctite gasket maker used on the Slon pan has not dripped one drop in over two years. The BMW rubber seal ALWAYS leaked. How will the Fall-Line rubber seal hold up? Don't know.

As far as the internal baffles, the Slon pan baffles are full height inside the pan near the outside edges (again, look at the pix on my thread) while the Fall-Line baffles are shorter in height. I don't know which is better, but again the Slon pan has been very effective for me.

The literature on the site does not say how much more capacity is in the Fall-Line......odd. They say it doesn't change ground clearance which means it can't add that much extra capacity. The Slon pan adds around 1 liter. The pan is the lowest point of the car---just barely lower than the Akra X-pipes. I have hit it at least once. I don't know when or where I hit it. It scraped the pan, but it took the hit fine.

The Fall-Line unit has external ports for adding another DCT oil cooler. That seems unique. I don't immediately recall seeing any other pan that has that. Since I don't race for an hour, it's not an issue for me. My issues were starvation at sustained high-G's.
Agreed! been using my SLON for over a year....no leaks and really does the job!
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00