View Single Post
      09-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #48
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
By chance, has anybody done any research into the "why" of the tight clearances? As we know, bearing clearance and oil pressure are very closely related. Any plans to research whether the stock oil pump can in fact maintain the required flowrate when the clearances get opened up? I can see this short term "fix" going south in a hurry if all factors aren't considered. I'm not criticizing the work, obviously this is a huge benefit to the community, I'm just suggesting that some attention be paid to the big picture.
The S65 oil pump is a variable rate, positive displacement pump with relief valve. To me (not an engine builder), that means it's nowhere near it's maximum flowing capacity. As kawasaki00 and BMRLVR have previously said, all Dinan strokers open up the clearance and use the factory oil pump without any known issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I'd like to see some results/testing using 0w-40 or something thinner than the Castrol TWS, as an alternative to alleviate bearing wear, especially at cold start. It seems the starvation occurs regardless of the sheer strength of the oil, or maybe I've read the clevite data incorrectly.
I'll be trying to data log oil pressure on stock vs. extra clearance motors. The problem we've encountered is that we can't seem to figure out an easy way to data log oil pressure yet without external gauges. I've got data logging oil pressure gauges, but I'm still looking for an ECU way to collect the data. So far, the latter solution has proven to be a bit elusive.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6731.50