03-28-2021, 03:42 PM   #11
iamtrashman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 AW Stripper M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
Very much enjoying your journal! Would you recommend the shifter setup?
I would highly recommend the shifter. The stock shifter is very lackluster for me, and has a rubbery kind of feel. Its functional but it never felt very great to use. The car has such long legs because of the high redline though, so the overall car is still really enjoyable, but the RTD really makes the car more exciting and engaging to drive.

One thing to note though, all of that rubber in the OEM shifter has a purpose. It isolates a lot of the NVH that the big old ZF produces. When you swap out to a chassis mounted shifter that uses a solid shift selector rod you will definitely experience more gear whine and shift lever vibration. It isn't unbearable, but if you are sensitive to noise in the cabin you may dislike that part of it. There is also currently no solution for a rubber shift boot on the transmission tunnel. I was recommended to try an e36 transmission tunnel boot by RTD and it did not end up working. However i retained the foam and carpet piece below the stock shift boot and when I zip tied the modified boot on to the shift lever, I found it cut down noise a good bit.

All that being said though, the noise isn't obnoxious. i wouldn't be embarrassed to drive a non car person around.
Appreciate 0