07-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #57
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Agreed, but the fuel savings isn't even that favorable. Tesla themselves assume $720/year...($3600 over 5 years) And their calculations use premium-grade gasoline cost in the comparison.

My personal Model 3 fuel calculations assume best-case 75% efficient charging; and use my June 2018 electric cost of $0.17479 per kWh (delivered). I am also using the .233 kWh per mile consumption rate I've seen Model 3 owners report online.

Result is ~$5.10 per 100 miles of driving.
My calculations were for a Model S in comparison to total ownership costs of my E90 (up to 200,000 miles) at the time I did the math. That's where I figured out $35K was the magic number to make an EV a viable cost alternative to an equivalent market-segment ICE competitor.

If you throw in the cost of charging on the public EV charging network the cost/mile even gets worse. The Model 3 doesn't get free Tesla network charging according to what I've read.

People buy different cars for a myriad of reasons, but for me I throw in total cost of ownership as one of the variables and calculate the cost/mile. Most cars are in the $30 cents to $50 cents range. It then leaves a person with the decision on the quality of the experience they get for the per-mile price they pay.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0