08-21-2017, 10:20 PM   #88
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmast1 View Post
If you want some peace of mind, just do the rod bearings or add a decent aftermarket warranty. They aren't cheap, but seem to be quite handy after reading posts by forum members stating how their warranty company covered the cost or most of the cost of the parts and labor. I have a warranty from National, purchased through a BMW dealer. It covers many, many things including main/rod bearing failure. Mine also covers a/c, electric seats, moonroof, but alot of drivetrain, powertrain, electrical, rotating assembly, lubricated parts especially, but also covers some maintenance things like door switches, window motors, etc.. But not clutch unfortunately, much of the transmission but not clutch assembly. It covers me until either 100k miles or 4 yrs, started January of this year. It was $3600 and i have 52k miles on my m3, bought 10/22/15. This is why my car is stock. Mods and tunes will negate parts of or the entire warranty. Double edged sword eh? You could just do the bearings..But the more miles, the worse the warranties become. You would want to buy a m3 with less than 50k miles for a decent warranty. I got mine at 49k.

Yeah I was looking into warranty options. What I didn't like is, they forced you to do oil change very 5k or 3 months.

But then I looked at BMW dealership used cars and do offer more, "normal" warranties. I can still do the work myself if I keep receipts and all that. Was looking at a car in my budget it had 107 000 KM. Warranty was 3500$ for 4 years or 30 000km. I'm thinking going that route. A rod bearing change is 3k so I'm not really loosing much. And that extra 500$ would cover a throttle actuator for example. And in that time I could save up real slow over the years for the rod bearing change.

I dunno really. Not sure yet.
Appreciate 0