10-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #107
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by duk View Post
Just tracked over weekend with Swift springs + stock EDC on Thunderhill.

The springs held up well, was not bumpy or bouncing off bumpstops although T-Hill is pretty smooth. I would recommend for folks that are not hard core tracker but want a decent drop.
Are you on the factory bumpstops?

I think I'll try the springs with the E9x bumpstops first and see how it goes. I called Swift and spoke with them regarding the design around the factory bumpstop. The gentlemen basically made it sound like even they scratch their heads as to why people use the E36 bumpstops when the springs were designed with the factory ones in place. They even test the bumpstop to get the rates from them to incorporate with the spring design. But he did say suspension tuning, obviously, is subjective and people always tweak to get what suits them but they wouldn't recommend the E36 bumpstops to a customer.

Another interesting note that he said was that the E36 M3 bumpstops do not have a purpose on the E36 shocks other than to stop the shock from bottoming out. BMW designed them that way with the purpose of not allowing the shock to bottom out only. The E9x's bumpstops are more complex and actually have a specific rate that are designed to be used with the specific vehicle's spring and damping rates. Swift have then designed their springs to use these rates like BMW M did.

Either way. Suspension tuning is subjective and everyone will have differing opinions and preferences. If they seem to be too bouncy or whatever then I'll switch to E36 as mentioned here.
Appreciate 0