View Single Post
      11-13-2018, 10:46 PM   #26
utsteve98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Every manufacturer has a niche. While Ford makes overall quality products for the price, it is obvious there #1 product they concentrate on is the full size pickup market. And it shows. Anyone that has been in the new F150 (especially the Raptor) can see why this is the best selling truck. Sure there are Titans and ridgelines and Tundras. All are fine quality trucks from reputable manufacturers, but they don't stand out like a Raptor. While Dodge makes a quality pickup, it is clear their success is in the muscle car market with the Hellcats. Sure, the Shelby and the Camaro ZL1s are great muscle cars but they still don't carry that niche of the ultimate muscle car (think Dodge Demon). BMW has become more a luxury brand that is still a drivers car for its niche. With changing demographics, not everyone wants that.

I remember when I bought my first BMW. It was a 2000 323Ci. I loved that car. It was awesome and fun and so classy looking. There seemed to be a prestige of owning any BMW. Now it seems as the standard BMW is just average. Maybe it's because there are so many more options with competitors. Let's be honest. US cars of the 90s were horrible. They big 3 have come a long way in making something people want. Maybe another problem is over saturation of the M brand. I remember it was rare to find an M car in show rooms. Now some dealers got several sitting out in the weather and elements. After owning 4 M cars, I've had a great experience. But after owning over 25 cars in my lifetime, I can say there are a lot of great options in today's market.

The competition is finally caught up with quality products, along with the arrival of new makers.
BMW is doing what it can to pick up new market share where they also can be competitive to broaden its base so that it doesn't become irrelevant overall.
Appreciate 0