View Single Post
      01-31-2014, 11:42 PM   #2001
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
I see some of the engine failures being listed as "catastrophic" and others less so. Do rod bearing issues generally result in the need for an entirely new engine?
I would say a bearing failure usually does not result in the need for an entirely new engine. I would think most of the time a bearing failure will make itself know through a loud knocking sound. Most drivers will pull over immediately knowing something isn't right and have the problem investigated. When this happens, worst case you need to get a new crankshaft, but most likely even the crank can be fixed to run again. Much more likely a rod journal is beat to hell and the connecting rod cap might now be deformed by heat. Still no need to replace the entire engine here. All of these problems can be fixed. They're expensive, but they can be fixed.

A catastrophic engine failure is when things go a little to far and you end up with a block that has holes in it. If the rod gets too hot due to bearing failure, I believe it can momentarily weld itself to the crank (experts please correct me here). When this happens, the rod stick to the crank. The momentum of the moving crank is so great that the rod snaps, rod bolts may break, pistons get broken, and a hole is usually found in the block. This type of failure is catastrophic and needs a complete engine replacement. Compared to a normal bearing failure that is caught in time, I think this type of failure is much less common.
Appreciate 0