GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Spare tire options

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqsmooth View Post
I am scrambling currently to put together a spare tire as I had a blowout on one of my rear tires on Saturday. As most businesses were closed, I had to tow it to a location and will have the new tires(will be replacing both rears) installed today. Having been inconvenienced for the 3rd time due to a flat tire(7 years of ownership), I think it's time for me to do something(should have done so after the FIRST flat). It is a total joke that this car doesn't come with a spare. The flat tire repair kit is useless as holes on the sidewall can't be fixed 99% of the time(I've actually fixed a small tear with a patch kit once and got to safety). This time was a little different as I didn't hit a pothole. The rear tire just blew up. I'm wondering if there was something I didn't do as a responsible owner that lead to this. The weather is pretty hot in ATL area and I haven't checked the pressure in awhile. Overinflation could be the culprit for my demise. I do have another set of tires w/ winter tires on them. Wondering if carrying one of the fronts would solve the problem or go with the space saving spare. Looks like everything can be put together for under $250.
The high performance tires on our cars don't just "blow up" unless they've been damaged somehow. Doubt overinflation was a factor unless you were running 70 psi!

You can certainly carry a Winter wheel, at the expense of reduced luggage capacity and weight. I like the compact spare solution, and I only carry it on trips out of my local area. Luckily, I've never needed to use it.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0