08-19-2020, 03:17 AM   #53
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & VW Golf Mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Mine turned out to be the leaking oil cap. Doesn't use oil at all since changing to E46 M3 one.
Same for me.

Bought the car used with approx. 50-55k Miles. After a brief period, engine Oil level starts dropping without any signs of leakage.

I start adding, already worried that there might be more to it.

Shortly after realized, that ignition coil on cylinder 8 had gone bad. Seems that unburnt fuel washed the cylinders slightly and thinned the oil. So out with the old, in with the new (as if 10W60 Castrol is so affordably priced LOL).

Oil consumption more or less stopped.

However, there was still some oil missing every now and then. During a fuel stop I one day luckily realized a little tiny oil-mist / haze on top of the valve covers. OIL CAP. Changed it to a new one, gasket had dry rotted, no consumption thereafter - even during heaviest abuse in the Alps. Seems like the engine is loosing pressure at the oil cap to an extent where it also has a side effect in terms of oil-return etc. (just guessing).

After I had changed the oil-cap, only time my sensor read very weird levels was after an oil-change earlier this year, combined with a couple of short errands where the engine did not get warm enough.

There is a dip-stick retro fit option available, that gets rid of the sensor afaik. Quite pricey though - unfortunately.
Appreciate 0