View Single Post
      07-26-2022, 09:02 AM   #144
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Summer update....

When I got home from my track day at the end of March I had wanted to put the car on stands, inspect tire wear, check on brake pad wear, and just overall do a quick look over the car.

The wheels got turning in my head on a few things and I started tearing stuff apart. One complaint about this car is that I bought it so highly modified that I never knew which parts actually made a difference and which stuff was there just to be there. As you can tell the car is certainly more simple/basic now than it was when I first purchased it. I've left the stuff I'd want to do but taken a hard look at the things I just didn't feel like it needed.

I started having a conversation with Jason (OG Shark) about a post I had seen for custom Nitrons and after some back and forth decided I was going to go for it. I had been long debating moving off the MCS over to the Ohlins dedicated track to accomplish two things; 1) get more spring rate under the car, particularly out back and 2) move to a single adjustable. I'm not a shock expert and even with the MCS I generally just left them at their recommended settings. I listed the MCS and got a local buyer and that kicked off the wait for the Nitrons. The Nitron stuff is top notch. They are probably the nicest looking/feeling shocks I've held in my hands. Everything is machined on these. Jason has two offerings, a street based spec and a track based. I had gone for the track based just our curiosity for what an overkill for me shock setup was even like. Unfortunately Nitron sent me the street setup. The street and track share the same front shock/spring config, it's just the rear that is different. Jason offered to make it right at no cost to me but we chatted more and after a conversation with Inertia Labs (this is who Jason is working with to bring these to market) we ultimately decided the street shock could easily handle more spring rate and I was going to try something right in the middle. My setup ends up being the exact same spring rates as the Ohlins dedicated track (685/1028lb). My only complaint which is true of every aftermarket shock option is the rear perch design just sucks when you look at how awesome the Ground Control articulating perches are. That was one thing I let go with the MCS setup and I wish I had kept those. I'll probably look to buy some in the future.

I've also wondered just how much I really need the full SPL arm setup on the car. Failures seem uncommon but I had seen a couple and that just got the wheels turning. Months ago I had taken on converting rear upper arms to solid bushings and had a set of brand new GAS monoball arms sitting on the shelf too. This gives me a more OE like setup that's just as solid as the SPL, I just don't have all the extra adjustment. I'm not sure I even need the adjustment so I'm willing to give it all a try. Just to be clear, I've had absolutely no issues with the SPL parts but I like to tinker and it helps me answer for me if I truly need the parts. I'm not going to part with them either until I can get some miles in and really feel things out. I will be keeping the SPL rear toe arms regardless.

I finally got a chance to take the car for a spin and initial test says I'm a very happy customer. The Nitrons feel slightly more firm than the MCS but no less comfortable. My MCS setup was 500/800lb. Alignment is definitely off so the car feels a touch off under full throttle but I just eyeballed things until I can get it properly done.

Also, while the car was up I started looking at some exhaust options. I had been on the full stock setup for months and it just leaves a little to be desired. My time with the Supersprint also had me wanting to be able to run a stage 2 tune for that little power bump you get when getting away from the restrictive stock X-pipe. I ended up finding a Bimmerworld X-pipe for the right price and decided I would see how it paired with the stock rear. I don't love it but it is a touch quieter than the full Supersprint which is something I was looking for. Feels great with the Epic tune. I do think I need to get new gaskets and clamps as I believe I have an exhaust leak somewhere. As others have stated the fitment quality is probably a 7/10 when you consider how well the OE just bolts right up. It wasn't too difficult to get on but I'm betting I could better tweak the alignment of the whole system. I still think the full Akra is ultimately what I want and will be happy with. It's really the only thing I regret selling from my car as it sat when I first purchased. Luckily they come up used fairly frequently so maybe one day. I would like to see how an Akra rear pairs with the BW X-pipe so I might go that road too.

I'm looking forward to putting some miles on it this fall and hopefully at least one more track day. We're in the heat of summer in the southeast so it's not even a lot of fun to get out right now. It's been one thing helping just staring at the car on stands for so long. I have taken it out every chance I get even with a less than ideal alignment and I must say it feels good to drive it.
wyatth3548.50
M3_Legend352.00
derbo3610.00
Rochen_00349.50