BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Thx Jamie.

How low a load do you keep. I winter drive mine so I let it warm a bit but not for 10 min then I drive it.

I certainly don't drive it hard but it is prob normal acceleration.

Any way you can quantify things a bit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I try to shift at 3k when oil is still cold
It is less about the RPM you shift at than the percentage of throttle opening! I try to never use more than 25% throttle until the engine is at operating temperature. 50% - 100% throttle, but still shifting at low RPM's will hurt the engine just as much as spinning it 7 or 8K cold at low throttle openings. I too keep RPMs below 3-4K but I mainly concentrate on not applying too much throttle till the oil is up to temp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
I sometimes wonder if the BMW engine was really designed with a thinner grade oil from the start with the tight tolerance that BMRLVR pointed out. Then another BMW department decided to market and use the 10-60w for the prolonged 15k oil change interval. Would really like to know about the use of thinner oil, especially for some of us that change the oil at 5k or 7.5k.
The Grade of oil means less to the OCI than the base oil stability and the additive pack. With that being said, I think they use this oil to protect engines at HIGH temperatures, read track usage. For mainly street driven cars this 10W60 is overkill IMO. The 10W60 shines at oil temps above 120C (250F) not going to get groceries or cruising down the highway at 100KM/h (65MPH) where the oil temp never makes 100C (212F).