View Single Post
      04-10-2021, 05:49 PM   #5
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
It's a high revving 100hp/L engine and makes about 100Nm torque at 3900rpm which is quite low for such an engine. This means it has, for a high revving NA engine with 100hp/L, a pretty linear and wide torque curve.
I wonder if there are better NA performing engines of that era regarding to this. (and not fitted to cars costing 2 or 3 times obviously)

I mean, the 997 gt3 rs engine, which of course is a great engine in a great car (in the same era, so the PH1), has similar power and torque, but gives peak torque at 5500rpm, so thats a 1600rpm difference. The torque band in the m3 v8 is much wider (so therefore also a more practical engine)
Well, yeah, but I would also argue that it hinges on how much torque there is. No matter how linear, low torque is low torque and won't blow anyone's socks off. Obviously no one wants to have to rev to 6K to make "decent" torque, but in the realm of V8s, that's almost never the case. I was definitely expecting to see something like the 4.0 GT3 engine too, as it is pushing so many different areas of what a NA engine is and can be.