11-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #42
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3man35 View Post
I tend to laugh at the fascination that some have with cars producing well over the usable horsepower - especially in the US. How much horsepower is just too much? I'm not saying that the Mustang can't handle 650+ (and even handle it well, as evidenced by the recent improvements with the new 5.0 and Boss), but how often are you going to be able to use that amount of power? I know many on this forum head to the track on a regular basis, but what about DDing? I live in Germany, where I'm fortunate enough to hit speeds in excess of 160mph, but I'm seriously considering selling my M3 when I return to the States, as I'll never be able to enjoy tTotally agree. While I love my 6.4L Challenger SRT8, the opportunities to enjoy its 470 hp. are few and far between. That is part of the reason why my favorite cars are my E46 M3 and my newly acquired Z3 M Coupe (with an S52 engine)

I go back and forth between wanting an E92 M3, but realize I very rarely even can wind out my E46 M3 to its 8k redline. Thus like you are saying, what is the point of that extra power and modernization other than for comfort or luxury?

I'm definitely considering swapping my SRT8 for this new GT500, but that's mainly because of the 250-300 lbs. weight difference and likely more sporty handling the Ford should offer.

What this really comes down to is fun in real world street driving in the US... and the more I think about it the best upcoming options may likely be the Subuaru BRZ STI or the Fiat 500 Abarth.his DDing fun. Sure I can head to the track, but it's always fun to legally push the limits on the Autobahn on a daily basis.

Just a thought.
Totally agree. While I love my 6.4L Challenger SRT8, the opportunities to enjoy its 470 hp and 470 lb/ft of torque are few and far between. That is part of the reason why my favorite cars are my E46 M3 and my newly acquired Z3 M Coupe (with an S52 engine.)

I go back and forth between wanting an E92 M3, but realize I very rarely even can wind out my E46 M3 to its 8k redline. Thus like you are saying, what is the point of that extra power and modernization from the E92 M3 other than for comfort or luxury?

I'm definitely considering swapping my SRT8 for this new GT500, but that's mainly because of the 300 lbs. weight difference and likely more sporty handling the Ford should offer.

What this really comes down to is fun in real world street driving in the US... and the more I think about it the best upcoming options may likely be the Subuaru BRZ STI or the Fiat 500 Abarth.
Appreciate 0