View Single Post
      06-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
tell him you want the car and you want 1k (or whatever you want) off MSRP. be assertive and be prepared to walk away if they won't give you the deal you are looking for.
Yep, state your offer and walk if they don't do it. Tell them you don't have the time to bicker. Either they do it or not!

Here is what I did with SEVERAL cars I bought....

Know EXACTLY what you want...colors, options, etc.
Print out invoice prices for said vehicle (edmunds, etc.)
Have financing/cash, etc. READY to go
Print out all BMW (whatever) dealers within whatever distance you are willing to travel (for me it was 250 miles).
Call each dealer and ask to speak with Fleet Manager
Intro yourself, tell him/her that you are in the market for a XXX and know exactly what you want, you have $$ ready and are calling around to XXX dealers and the best price over invoice gets your business TODAY. Tell him you dont have time to come in and bicker or call back and negotiate. Best deal out of all the dealers gets your business TODAY.
He will ask what you want. Tell him exactly what you want. He will look at inbound and on hand inventory and try to match it, which he wont (most likely--but could).
He will give you a number (eg: I can do it for $1,500 over invoice).
Thank him for his time and remind him that you have a few more to call, but will call within the hour or so after you are done if he has the best deal.
After you call around and get prices (you will be amazed at the price differences), call back the winner and tell him that you are ready to put down a deposit. Done.

The last time I did this (in 2004), I had two guys fighting for my business. I ended up getting exactly what I wanted (happened to be inbound on a boat) and they added a DVD with dual headrest monitors and did not charge me for the "rear wing", which I did not want. After all was said and done (with DVD, etc.), I paid UNDER invoice for the vehicle. lol

I doubt you will get that sort of a deal on a new model, but from what I hear, some dealers have a large stock of them (Irvine, CA), so you never know. Some fleets may ask if you would be willing to get a XXX color one instead, etc. If it is no biggie, you may get a better deal as they would rather sell a car already on the lot that a production allocation, but its your call.

Good luck.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0