Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApple View Post
I am shocked that it comes to this...

a 90day old e93 M3.

I had aftermarket Alarm and Radar protection installed from a Professional Location.

All fine about 3 weeks later (2 days ago) my Engine showed a Engine Malfunction Message. Went to the Dealer ... Dealer says it could be because of the Aftermarket install... And that there is possible no more warranty protection because of it... I cant belive it. Now they dont knwo what causes it and how to fix it. I Called the Aftermarket installer and they say they get that a lot that Dealers blame outside companies.
The funny thing is the aftermarket installers do work for other BMW dealerships. They install Radars for them also. Just not for this specific Dealer.
Now i am stuck in the middle of this Blame Shifting game.

How do you tackle this mess... i am not sure... any thoughts...
I know that in California they MUST PROVE that it is the aftermarket item that caused the problem, not just SUSPECT or use it as an excuse. Check your state laws. BMW is notorious for trying to squirm out of paying ANY claim.

If nothing else, your car is new enough I'd check out Geico's Mechanical Breakdown insurance. If your car is less than 15 months old/15k miles, you can purchase this insurance (costs me about $72 a year) to not only improve your current warranty, but extend it to 7 years/100k miles. The reviews from customers are there they NEVER try to reneg on a claim (covers EVERYTHING except consumable type items-you know, oil changes, brake jobs, tires, etc.) for only a $250 deductible.

I feel MUCH better knowing that I not only have a warranty after the original 4 years, but I also have someone who WILL help even during the warranty should BMW pull its usual tricks.
Appreciate 0