Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
you do need to remove the film that was on the rotors per the instructions in the box. I've never seen it before on any rotors I've ever replaced. It was a matte gray film that was on the entire rotor.

at first i hit them with brake cleaner and then reassembled 3 of the four brakes, I got to the 4th brake and spun the rotor with the pads installed and they rubbed onto the rotor and scratched this gray finish off and I could see the polished surface of the steel rotor so i took everything apart on all 4 corners and used brake cleaner and goo gone and a final brake cleaner to clean it all off. there was zero oil on the rotors out the box only the gray dry film and the first time i hit them with brake cleaner, nothing came off. i used an entire roll of shop towels and an entire bottle of brake cleaner to get this crap off. they are brand new OEM rotors and pads.
Man, I stand corrected. I have never had to remove a coating before install - and I have installed a lot of rotors with racing. But I race Japanese slag. Talked to a mechanic buddy and he said he has run into a few rotors that come with a shipping film. Seems like a terrible idea.

What brand of rotors? Zimmerman or actual BMW?

Hope you can get it figured out.

Cheers,
Yeah it was a mess. If i has to do it over again I'd submerge them in something more effective.

I bought "OEM" from FCP Euro and the rotors came in Zimmerman boxes. The (what I assume are part numbers) stamped on the rotors have different numbers than what I pulled off. I'm assuming I pulled off the originals because they were pretty worn out. And only had 35k miles on the car.
Appreciate 0