View Single Post
      02-15-2017, 04:15 PM   #108
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Right there with you, but rumors aside, the base Supra was never going to come with a six-potter. Not in this day and age, not to keep the price points competitive, and not to stay sufficiently distanced from the Z5.

Particularly if BMW engines will be used in the Supra in any model (still a very real possibility), the latter will be a huge, huge priority for both companies -- particularly starting in 2019, when the Supra 'vert and Z5 coupe should both become available. There's got to be significant price differences between the two -- probably close to five figures -- to keep each in its own niche. My bet is that Supras will be modeled closer to the 86 in terms of performance (relatively low power, light weight, tech), while the Z5 will be modeled closer to the F-Type, M-B SL, and higher Boxster/Cayman trims (more power, heavier, significantly more luxurious).
Awhile back they have hinted at a $50k staring price tag; I just can't see people spending that much for a 4 cylinder base model. If its a 4 banger with that price tag I would rather get a C7.

In my opinion to better differentiate it from the 86 it should be a 6 cylinder of some form. I believe someone on this forum has said the BMW will only come as a drop top and the Toyota as a coupe, so they won't steal sales from each other.
Appreciate 0