10-06-2011, 02:17 AM   #10
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Friese View Post
Do you guys catch a lot of grief for having a base M3? I just picked up an '11 AW Coupe with literally no options - no EDC, DCT, M-Drive (it is a pre-Sep production) and from reading through this and other forums, it seems that it is almost frowned upon to have an M3 as such. I can't get enough of this car, but some of these people almost have me 2nd guessing my decision, lol.

I came from a pretty much stripped Porche 911, and never found this kind of environment in the Porche community.
Anyone who would say such a thing is the type of person who buys an M3 mainly for the status, and spends life looking down on others for having less.

A no-option M3 is the best breed of M3, and will be worth the most in the future. Wait 10 years and see how cool people are going to think an ugly and antiquated I-Drive display/interface is. No one is going to look back and "value" low-tech and likely issue plagued first generation adjustable suspensions and dual clutch transmissions. M-drive just has people pay extra money so they can press a single button to "unlock" their sports car's full potential at their whim.

There's nothing "wrong" with people choosing these options. It's their money and their choice. Just realize that while they may add temporary luxury/convenience value to some people, they add no (or even negative) value to the car in the long term.
Appreciate 0