View Single Post
      07-16-2018, 10:06 PM   #5
SkinnedKnuckles
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Thanks deansbimmer, your response is very much appreciated!
I think I will also replace the LHS with a new one (already have put a new one on the RHS).
I was tempted to leave the LHS as-is, as if it is like the RHS was, there is nothing visibly wrong with the unit itself, other than the cap/cover being a bit skewed. BUT, I would hate for the cap to come off at some point down the road and send debris into who-knows-where!
Will avoid a 2nd hand unit, as it's too big a job to get in there again, despite the price of a new unit being about $1200 USD vs 2nd hand about $300 USD.
I won't take that risk with something so close to key mechanical elements that are deep inside the heart!
Expensive exercise! damn it. And still doesn't solve my weird tick/clack sound.... hmmm....

Quick question re timing - I noticed that when checking the LHS bank timing, using the special camshaft locking tool as per the process in the manual, that the inlet camshaft seems ok (tool sits pretty much flush), but the exhaust camshaft leaves one side of the tool (the side between the 2 camshafts) about 2mm off its contact point. The allowable tolerance is specified as 1mm.
Despite being the 3rd owner, I have no reason to believe that this has ever been msesed with... is it likely that it was always out slightly? Wouldn't the cam sensors + vanos system maintain specific (correct) advance/retard anyway? (I suppose that this might affect the extreme limit of advance/retard but nothing else (except perhaps the "neutral" position upon initial startup..?

Thoughts?

I will be resetting the timing anyway as part of the LHS vanos adjuster replacement, but still curious.

Cheers
Appreciate 1