07-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Derple View Post
I don't know if you're looking for tips. About a car length of trailbraking into 1 will point the car better and allow throttle much earlier down into that compression. That is a ton of speed/time to be gained leading onto the back straight. Bus stop can be taken with a more speed, a lot more is my guess, in small bites of course. Should be able to turn into the carousel flat or close to it and then breath back throttle to get down to apex by the flag stand, so more entry speed available there and a good chunk of time. In the toe, use the compression after turn in and drive the car in deeper on the brakes. Open your hands more on the exit and let the car run. A good marker there is to have your right front tire right inside the point of that concrete patch. Stay inside of the sealant they put down on 9 that stuff doesn't have as much grip, even if the line isn't as good otherwise, and you'll just have to wait for the car to point on it. Turn in earlier with a dab of trailbraking in 11 and try to be back to some power by the concrete patch. I hope I haven't said too much. What set up are you running?
Comments much appreciated. What you're saying makes sense. Anything that allows you to safely get back on the power sooner coming onto one of the straights is a big plus. I'd imagine you have to try some of this in a gradual manner, because it requires faith that the car will track through without an issue.

I seem to be coming out of the esses onto the back straight at about 110mph, and the car gets to just about 130mph (accurate, by GPS--probably mid- to high-130s on speedo) before I feel I need to start braking for the bus stop. I might be able to gradually push the braking zone a bit deeper, but the way you hop over the curbs going into the bus stop, it feels like the car is briefly unsettled until it regains composure just in time to come out of the bus stop. The M3 is an amazing car, but I can definitely see where it would be advantageous to have a Z06 or something with a similar power-to-weight ratio in picking up better top-end acceleration coming out of the esses onto the back straight.

My M3 sedan has a Dinan Stage III suspension (about -2.4 camber front, -2.0 rear), StopTech ST60/ST40 brakes with Pagid RS29 pads, and a couple of stray Cheerios on the floor. Kid car seats removed for the track, though.
Appreciate 0