View Single Post
      02-23-2017, 10:31 PM   #1
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

DIY: B+ Cable (Fuse box to battery) replacement

So if any of you are SOL where your vehicle production dates falls OUTSIDE of SI B61 26 16, then read on.

My vehicle was showing classic symptoms of a bad battery cable, shook the fuse box and everything came to life. See my thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1356590

Here's a simple DIY, finally documented. Have to say thanks to dmppdx for pointing everyone including myself in the right direction.

Let's get started (FYI, I am unsure of the Torx sizes, any corrections I will edit them later):

What you need:
10MM socket
3mm? Hex
Torx in various sizes (Don't remember the exact ones)
Phillips screwdriver
Hydraulic Crimp
And, of course, the cable 61129312133
OPTIONAL: Magnetic tray holder, makes life easier.

Steps:
1) Disconnect the battery and leave your trunk open. If you have split seats, I highly recommend you fold them down just in case

2) Remove cup holders. Use a trim tool to gently pry open the compression tabs

3) Remove glove box. There are 6 T25 bolts, four at the top, and two on each side. Caution, watch out for the 3 connections (USB, light, & trunk)

4) Remove the underpanel. There are 2 T25 bolts, one on each side.
Sidenote: I had no idea I had an extra usable cigarette lighter lighter
Disconnect the connectors attached to the under panel

5) Disconnect the JBBF connections on the front to make more space. Push down on the connection and the white flip things should automatically slide over.

6) Remove the 4x Torx bolts, two on each side, of the fuse box. They're a challenge to get to, especially the ones on the left because it is blocked by the blower assembly. Recommend a flex screwdriver if you have one. IGNORE the two small Torx bolts right on the fuse box. Once all 4 torx bolts are removed, the fuse box should easily dislodge

7) On the rear, look for zip ties and cut them. This will enable you have the working space needed to cut and crimp. Make note how the red battery cable is routed so that the fuse box can easily go back in once you're done.

8) At this point, you should be able to pull the fuse box down, exposing the back of it. Unplug the battery cable. Grab your new one you just bought that has the hex screw and make appropriate length cut. I just sliced the head off of the old wire. I forgot to grab a pair of wire cutters so I used a sharp scissor to cut the jacket and then the copper wires.

9) Take your hydraulic wire crimp (I used 0 AWG adapters) and crimp the newly cut existing cable with the replacement one. I used a small BBQ lighter to heat the heatshrink (carefully ) Insert the connector into the fuse box and tighten the hex bolt

10) Reassemble everything back and make sure your fuses didn't come loose while you were wrestling the box. Reattach the battery and grab yourself a drink.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
bkdore103.00
Theodore668.50
M3MPH1S592.00