driftflo
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2 F87, M3 E92 & E46, C63, 911

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Post View Post
It turns out the was noise from a bad carrier bearing. Many of the bearing rollers were heavily pitted and so was the bearing race. I could find no part numbers, manufacturer name, nor the country of manufacture on any of the parts. The car now drives much quieter. The whirring noise has gone!

Total cost for removal, installation, differential repair labor, new parts etc. was $2384. Still cheaper than buying a new Diff, and i get to keep my shorter ring and pinion gear set (3:45) - as well as my Quaife LSD.

Sure hope these bearings last longer than the old ones. Perhaps the pre-load was too tight? Comments would be appreciated.

this was obviously an installation error of the person who installed the gearset/quaife. this is no normal wear and these side bearings are rock solid and do fail very very very rarely. and these ones look really horrible...

furthermore, if there is no manufacturer name on them it could be there has been used poor quality noname stuff when installing the quaife?!

i hope the fix has been done by another shop now and they used OE bearings and have (and know how to use) the tools to set dynamic friction values right.
if they did not set it right you will have the same problem again, soon!
Appreciate 3