05-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #13
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3 Cabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Rolly View Post
But, I still feel my E92 is slow off the line from a red light and it's not until third gear that I feel the potential of the M engine.
Thanks.
By this statement I'm guessing you haven't tried the Power button ("Sport Mode"), nor the M-Button (if you have it, and you have it programmed for "Sport Plus" mode).

In "Normal" power mode (with both of those buttons off) you have to really push the gas pedal more than half way down to get it to really go. This mode is designed for everyday/city driving.

And if your in Normal mode and shifting at 2k rpm, then yeah it's not really going to feel that fast cause your probably not push the pedal down that much which in Normal mode it's not giving that much gas to the engine which is perfectly fine and what you wanted for MPG.

next your at a stop light push the Power button so the orange light is on. Just drive as you normal do and you'll notice the car is much zippy even though you only pushed the gas pedal down a little bit.

And if you have iDrive, go into the Settings, M-Settings and set Power to Sport Plus (probably leave everything else normal for starters). Then next time you are at a red light, press the M-button and drive as you normal do! You'll notice that when you push the pedal in just a tad the car will just want to go! Careful in Sport Plus mode, if you are shifting at 2k rpm, you might stall it in this mode if your not being aggressive with the gas, just an FYI

I often skip gears a lot in my driving around town/interstate. I most often skip 3 in city driving. so from a light I'll floor it a bit and go 1-2-4 and then I'm up to 45-50mph or so which is around the speed limit and the next stop light isn't for 5 or 6 blocs. Not to say I don't use 3rd, cause some times that's all traffic allows, but more times than not it's the gear I skip for city driving.

With a nice interstate on ramps I usually floor it 1, 2, 3, 4 and then once I get to whatever speed I want I throw it into 6th. I don't really use 5th gear a lot unless I want to set cruise but still have a tad more power to quickly pass people, but usually 6th is enough for that.