View Single Post
      05-05-2018, 07:32 AM   #1
TaxLit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Nada

Wife Expecting - Sell/Swap?

I absolutely love my all-stock, no accident, single hump barebones 2011 Interlagalos blue e92 m3. My plan was to keep it and drive it for as long as I can, but now I'm questioning that.

My wife is pregnant. We will be moving to downtown Toronto while she takes 18 months of mat leave, and only keeping one car. We can either keep the m3 coupe, or keep her Honda Accord hybrid.

Now, the hybrid is obviously the more practical choice as an only car in the city. It costs about 1/3 of the m3 cost in gas and maintenance to drive anywhere, has rear doors to access child seats, shorter doors to not hit objects when putting kids into child seats; Cheaper wheel costs when my wife hits curbs (not infrequently); as safe as the m3 if not safer; i'd care a lot less if it gets dinged and scratched up by cyclists who are annoyed that you're trying to make a right hand turn downtown. Surprisingly, it doesn't suck to drive. Overall, I could live with it. The lower costs would also be better for us, as we're still a young couple who should be dumping more into savings, and also we will have daycare costs a couple years from now.

But the M3 is.... the M3. It's the car I wanted for ~8 years before I could get it. I don't know about my odds of finding another clean Interlagalos blue (my favourite colour) when we move out to suburbia in a couple years.

If I keep the M3, I'm doing the rod bearings soon. If not, I'll drive it as it is and sell at the end of the summer (with about 6 months of aftermarket warranty left).

Those of you who have tried to have an m3 coupe as the only family car (with infant) in the city, is it feasible?

Or should I just grow up and accept that my M3 life is over... for now?

An alternative is to try to swap for an e90. Thoughts on that are welcome too.
Appreciate 0