09-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
I run Pagid yellows and actually have a set on my car right now (was at track event last weekend). I'm not sure what you are feeling is abnormal especially if you are changing from stock BMW pads. Stock pads as soon as you depress the brake pedal it's firm/hard. Track pads (I've changed them in and out at least 6 times) always feel a bit spongy after you install them and this does not go away even with bleeding though it sounds like you should do this anyway. What I experience is the first 1/3 of the pedal travel is "spongy" and then it firms up, but it's never as rock hard as the stock pads. THE PEDAL SHOULD NOT GO TO THE FLOOR (OR CLOSE) HOWEVER. This is even when sitting in the garage, on the street you'll find that the braking is adequate, but when on the track and nicely warmed up you'll find that you have a nice, easy to modulate pedal (it still feels a bit spongy though). I think this is normal with these pads and I've never had a hard pedal with these pads and I've changed and flushed my brake fluid 3 times in the past 2 years, no change in pedal feel. Braking performance however is really excellent and consistent.
Thanks for that, Victor. I'm glad to know the Pagids can be that way. That describes pretty accurately what I experienced. BTW, were you at Road Atlanta this weekend for the HPDE?

I bedded the pads (3X) with some improvement. Then pressure bled them with Motive with also slight improvement. I've since been told that the old fashioned way of "friend-with-foot-on-the-pedal" bleeding provides better pressure for getting small air bubbles out.

Anyhoo, I ran great at the track event, had a blast, and proceeded to melt (seriously) my stock rotors from the heat. So I'm using my Search button to research BBKs... I see one in my near future, but damn $$$$!

This will certainly be my next thread. To be continued...

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0