11-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #61
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajmun340 View Post
That's what i meant. Too many alternators have failed just after getting the recall work to denigrate the correlation. Plus the fact that they are applying taylored fixes indicate that they could be doing different level of test, possibly using ISTA based on various factors.
ISTA can stress the alternator regulator by putting a higher load than the battery does to test the B+ cable going to the alternator. Recalls often involve different measures taken depending on test results performed on the car. Maybe your car did not require that test.
I'm going to clarify a bit. When I plugged in ISTA, it was to read out codes and calculate a test plan at the end. I don't remember ever having to go into ECU selection and select the DME so that the program can determine whether the alternator was functioning properly or not. What I do remember doing is taking a multimeter and reading out the voltages and the car held certain RPM's. Measures at the end always end with replace alternator if such and such conditions failed.

You stress an alternator by turning all the electronics, like headlights and media. Then you see if the voltages maintain within range. ISTA will tell you, depending on what diagnostics is being run, to either turn on or off electronics, and take readings.

This isn't a Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 T-800 series machine where it can route additional power to certain places. If you do that, it'll toast the electronics. So no, ISTA does not stress the alternator. Besides, there's voltage regulator behind it for a reason and believe it or not, this does fail...it's not uncommon.

I don't even know how to respond to the battery comment.
Appreciate 0