View Single Post
      07-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

I don't have a DIY but I just did this on both my left and right seals not too long ago. You can reference any BMW Diff seal replacement diy/video online as they are pretty much the same:

- drop exhaust
- remove the 6 torx bolts for the drive shaft (along with the plate), they are suppose to be one time use only. Tightening torque are 120 Nm.
- pry off the flange, should be easy
- I was not able to remove the seal from the covers here while it's still on the diff so I ended up removing the cover as well. 8 hex bolts. Tightening torque are 21.7 Nm. This cover fits very very tightly and is there to actually position and hold the diff gears inside. If you do take off this cover, mark the orientation as there is a breather/oil supply hole inside. (I am not sure it matters as long as it's up but just mark it so you can put it in the same). The shim is also specific to the individual side so don't mix them (left vs right if you are doing both seals).
- I ended up having to use a press to remove and install the seal on the cover. Note how far the seal goes in. It is NOT suppose to bottom out and only cover the oil supply hole maybe 1/2 way. You will know what I mean after you look at the cover more closely. Just remember how far in the old one was and press in the new one the same depth and you will be fine.

Put everything back in reverse order. It's gonna be very hard to put a torque wrench in there to tighten the 6 torx bolts if you are working on it under the car. Having someone to help you hold the brake while you rotate the flange/shaft would save you a lot of time and backache. I didn't have help so I have to rotate wheel, get in car, pull handbrakes, get back under and tighten the bolts in cross patten. Repeat for all 12 bolts at a 3 step process because I don't want to tighten them to 120 Nm in one shot. My back was not happy.

Good lucky and let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by e92zero; 07-15-2016 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 3
Theodore670.00