03-10-2022, 07:51 AM   #28
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
They are not metal gears. Per Jason they are nylon plastic with additives in the mix to make high Performance Ultra strong long lasting gears superior to the OEM gears that we know have a history of wearing out. Below is a photo of his mould from his FB page.

If an actuator does go bad, which is fairly rare but does happen from time to time the customer typically wouldn't know the reason as the actuators have a UPC seal at the bottom of them which void the warranty if the unit is tampered with. Per Jason, since he started making the new gears, when he does receive units back under warranty the issue is related to the board.
As an FYI a customer recently purchased an actuator from me and when I received the core back their old unit has a build date of 2017 on it. Without opening the unit I can feel the tension when turning the tab which tells me this unit failed due to the gear.
So that was a 4 to 5 year old unit that has failed due to VDO etc… Still using plastic gears.
Go with http://rebuild-usa.com made by Rebuild.org.uk and you won't have to worry again.
good stuff, mark. when mine take a dump, i'll snag a set.
DrFerry6728.50