07-31-2010, 10:53 PM   #37
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leopard View Post
just want to throw this idea out there for the athiests to respond to. I'm obviously paraphrasing but this was originally written by some (muslim) philosopher:

So, say you're walking through a forest and find a watch on the ground. You pick it up and open up the back and see the intricate inner workings and mechanisms. Looking at the precision of its manufacture, you would have no doubt in your mind that someone must have made this.

Now, look at the human body, our bodies are incredible machines which defy many problems with human inventions (energy efficiency, etc.) We can regenerate cells, build bones, and repair muscles. The processing capabilities of our minds and the engineering of our cardiovascular system is amazing. So can't it be concluded that there is a greater being who must have created us?
Well, yes and no. You would assume that someone made the watch right away, as watches inorganic. Watches have no other explanation for how it came into being. In this way, the comparison is weighted. Now say you found an animal instead, which is the factor of life included in the comparison. Then you can choose to either chalk it up to a deity and leave it at that, or you can be scientific about it and research its origins. The reason that I ultimately left back religion is that Evolutionism and science has the answers for the time being. Religion to me is just a vestige of a more primitive time for when there were no other answers for how we came into being and I think that we as a society will eventually abandon it.

Last edited by PINeely; 07-31-2010 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0