View Single Post
      03-10-2023, 04:31 PM   #1432
Yzandrl
newbie.
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

This has been a long thread and over a good period of time covering a lot of material - cool.

I'm interested in hearing what the latest updates and combined body of knowledge from everyone has turned up for this device (in my case, tailored for the CCC). I have a 06 330i with CCC iDrive (8.8") Logic7, Bluetooth, and AUX 3.5 adaptor in the arm rest. I'm currently using a HK BTA10 + ground loop filter via the AUX right now for the "better audio experience". However, it would be nicer to not have to stop the car and make changes all the time on a handheld phone instead of just making screen changes and relying on superior "digital assistant" for initiating calls and navigation requests instead of what is now in place.

Based on this thread there are a few things I've learned.

pros:
audio is superior to many units relying on AUX
CD change hardware is already there? but you have to do coding to the unit CDMM_CHANGER_3 to mp3_cdc using NCSEXPERT
can re-use the 8.8" existing screen (to avoid the reported glare and the long reach to a 'touch screen')
works with idrive controls
works with steering wheel inputs
stable according to users
fast according to users

cons:
phone quality is terrible. All kinds of work arounds are posted to use native MIC via bluetooth to take calls and then you have confusion between the two bluetooth units. I really would like to disable the native car Bluetooth and just use the carplay for phone, music, all audio, but it sounds like the included mic w/mr12volt device has poor call experiences.
re-use the 8.8" existing screen from 2006 (also a con)
touching the steering wheel assistant gets the "native voice helper" and the "digital assistant". Was there a way to kill/code out the "native voice helper" ? Someone said yes, per update error, but no one had a method.
You need to use a separate microphone that either sticks someplace intrusive or you pull the pillar and top of car parts apart and put it in someplace with vibration isolation somewhere in the roof center panel( blu-tack ?) and cannot use built-in mic (splitter experiment didn't work)

Can anyone following this thread remark on the accuracy of these pros/cons and let me know if there is anything that's changed or inaccurate? My use case is music (tidal), navigation (google maps), phone calls (iphone) and hoping to turn off the native bluetooth/native communication and just use this unit without BT pairing confusion.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Soden82478.50