08-04-2016, 11:28 PM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
Today driving home from work in rush hour traffic, I noticed my oil temp needle was a full 1/8" past the halfway 100C (210F) mark. I only had my car for exactly 3 months so everything is still new to me. But I don't recall seeing oil temp gauge reading anything beyond the 100C mark so far in my ownership. Today was warm but not hot at all, the outside air temperature was 23.5C (74F). At the time the AC was on and I was in 2nd gear at about 3000rpm slowly going uphill, and for the first time I saw the oil temp reading this high.

Is the oil temp gauge accurate? After a quick search on the forum it appears our cars don't actually have an oil temp sensor, but rather the Ecu calculate the oil temp based on water temp.? Is this correct?

Also I may add that my oil temp needle tends to fluctuate between the 100C mark and maybe a needle width below halfway. On rare occasion the needle would creep a hair beyond 100C mark but will quickly drop back down once I start moving.

Thanks in advance

The gauge is somewhat accurate. I wouldn't consider is a problem since you had a decent engine load (AC running + going uphill).

Just keep driving and monitor it. The car can take much hotter temps before you need to worry. I routinely get the oil to the 3/4 mark (around 260 F) for 20-30 minutes at a time while on track and it will happily take it.