View Single Post
      02-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #29
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
thanks, I had thought about Summit Point, I live 40 minutes away. How does car insurance work when on a track?

How does an exhaust effect the smog test?

I know the spacers and wheels would just be for looks, I am not satisfied with the way the wheels fill up the wheel well (have the stock 18") wheels, and a poor looking set of winter wheels. I was thinking to get some nicer wheels and retire my stock wheels for winter.
The insurance question for events like this is definitely interesting, especially in VA. VA has some unusual laws.

When I was trying to get insurance for my Camaro years ago, Hagerty at first refused to insure me because I stated in my application I might take the car to the drag strip once or twice a year. The rep told me (this is back in 2005) that they deny applications that state the owner intends to do any racing at all for the state of Virginia. He claimed this was because Virginia has a law that REQUIRES insurance to cover the car regardless. Anyway I just adjusted my application to state I would not be drag racing it at all.

I do not know if this case applies to regular cars or not.

On the subject of HPDE (high performance driving education) it used to be that you would still be covered by your typical auto insurance. However, in the last few years you will notice they have changed the wording in the insurance agreement to basically exclude coverage from such events as well. I think the wording changed from racing the car to if you drive the car on a surface normally used for racing. Check with your insurance (or have someone else do it for you so you don't give yourself away).

When I went to Summit Point a few months ago there were some track day insurance options. There are also some online you can buy. A few things to note though:
  • it is very much based on the value of your car. My buddy had a Z06 valued at 50k and I think it was going to be around 400-500 dollars for a day. My E46 was going to cost me 200ish.
  • The deductible is VERY high, to the point it will really only be worth it if you manage to do MASSIVE damage to your car (the worst you will probably do is just drive off the track and spin out)

I did not buy any insurance myself. If you are in your M3, leave the traction and stability control on and trust your in-car instructor. He/she will tell you when you are getting close to losing control of the car (or if you are taking a turn too early which may result in losing control of your car etc). They won't push you past what you are comfortable with so just take it a little easy. Summit Point has run-off room and gravel traps at the areas people typically have issues with.