United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
I'm not referring to a 10 year old car...obviously it will be very much dated at that point, as will be the entire car. I'm talking about someone who might turn around and sell within 3 to 5 years.

Clearly it hurts resale and cars without NAV sit for significantly longer, regardless of a rare color or not.
I just ran a comparison on Edmunds for a 2008 E92 M3 with 50k, in Oustanding condition. With nav added about $600 in value. With a 2006 E46 M3, it's something of a wash.

Adding the nav on a current model means the Premium Package at over US$4k. I guess the decision is whether the nav option expense is worth the difference.

These are sportscars! Maybe with a luxury cruiser an outdated nav has more value, especially if it has the potential to be seriously upgraded. But at some point, I can't help but feel that the ancient screen, sluggish processor and low-grade graphics are going to detract, not add to the value, no? Or at least not get back that extra 4 grand invested.

If you get a chance, if you haven't already, I recommend sitting in a new Tesla sedan at the mall and just take in the giant touchscreen, bigger than any tablet, bright, clear and intuitive. I think that's more like the kind of nav tech we're all going to have in 5 years, and the dinky screen on today's model (which already is a few years old) will feel like looking at first-generation Super Mario Bros.

YMMV, but speaking for myself, I hated the nav in my 2007 335xi well before my 3-year lease ended. It was almost embarrassing.
Appreciate 0