View Single Post
      04-02-2020, 09:26 PM   #6
msk340i
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
DAS is double axis PAS is power assist..
it sounds more like comparing apples and oranges except they re both fruits.. but by PAS since there wont be a secondary axis, ackermann angles cant be changed anyway for slower corners.. and it doesnt look that hard to adapt like DAS do.. we d really see the DAS' benefit in Monaco especially on tight U turn and chicane but we wont able at all since it ll be banned next year..
What I understood is PAS has "2 rack-and-pinions" and that can produce an adjustable Ackerman angle on tight turns which is actually more beneficial than DAS. DAS can only produce the same angle on tight and wide turns on the other hand.
That tells us that Ferrari are onto the benefits of a steering system with variable toe angles/Ackerman angles. Mercedes' solution leaves it to the driver whole Ferrari's solution leaves it to the double rack-and-pinion.

Side note: every time I read about DAS explained by engineers (Mercedes and other) they always say that DAS's main advantage is on the straight not as most people think that it's for the turns. Because DAS produces a zero toe-in and that decreases resistance on the straights. That made them mention high speed circuits not low speed ones like Monaco.
Appreciate 0