07-27-2020, 04:49 PM   #46
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
What does popular mean? Because they are affordable and ppl are so cheap to save a couple of thousand compared to a Honda or Toyota with proven long term reliability?
Initial quality is way over thought. I would feel embarrassed by a Kia badge, I'd rather have an old European or Japanese car if money were tight, the Korean cars copy everything
What do you mean by long term reliability? My 2005 Kia Sorento made it 153K miles and 13 Years of salty Michigan winters before I gave up on it. That car has been off-roaded in the dunes and in the mud. I drove it from Montana to Maine. From South Dakota to South Carolina. And it was rusty, but still running when I sold it. I didn't pay for any repairs outside of warranty except for leaky exhaust and AC compressor. How much more long time reliability can you ask for in Northeast winters? I'd argue not many cars can do better.

I replaced it with an '18 Santa Fe. It's still sitting in my garage back in the States. And the best thing is to see how popular Hyundai/Kia is in Germany. I see many of them daily. Germans are utilitarian. They get it too.

Apropos quality, if Japanese/German cars are that much better, why can't they offer a warranty as long as the Hyundai/Kia? .............. Or conversely, if Kia's are sub-par in quality, how can they be financially viable with longest warranty in the marker? .................... Food for thought.

I know badge snobbery exists. I just choose to look past it.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 07-27-2020 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25084.50