View Single Post
      08-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
TheBat-Dad
Canada
Rep
Drives: SS 1LE

What model would you suggest for a rookie?

Hello Bimmerpost,

Tl;dr version: What bmw (model and year) would you recommend for someone who has never owned a performance car?

Background:
I love driving, but have only ever owned compacts (Mazda protege 5, and mazda 3 currently), and a wicked '96 purple dodge grand caravan (the hotbox). I have a lot of miles under my belt, especially highway, so I consider myself a pretty decent driver at high speeds. I have always wanted a fast sports car, and now I have the cash and means to do so.

BMW's have always caught my eye, and they are regarded as the ultimate driving machine. But based on everything I have read, the current bimmers don't seem to bring home the cheddar. I am more interested in a previous gen version as it seems everyone on these forums (and in the press) constantly harps on bmw as having lost their way, so I am more interested in finding that era that seems to be held up to godlike status like a grizzly chuck norris riding on a horse made of bacon.

A couple caveats:
1) I don't know how to drive a manual. Yea I know, I am what's wrong with the auto industry now-a-days, I am ruining it for the rest of us, etc. etc. Spare me. By no means am I opposed to manuals, but I just never needed to learn so it didn't happen. I likely will learn someday but it can't be on this car.

2) Fuel efficiency. I know this is probably a deal killer for older bmw's, but if it was slightly better than poking a hold in a jerry can that would help prevent the wife from harping on me every time I drive it.

Muchos gracias!
Appreciate 0